§ 70-3. Library cards.  

Latest version.
  • (a)

    A library card shall be required of each user of the library who desires to be loaned books and other library materials.


    A library card may be obtained by filing an application along with proof of residence with the library staff. The application shall contain the following information:


    Full name of resident.


    Residence address and telephone number.


    State driver's license number or other identification acceptable to the city and date of birth.


    If the patron is under 17 years of age, the parent or guardian of the patron shall also provide information required in subsections (b)(1) through (3) of this section to the library staff and join in the application for the library card.


    Point of contact, consisting of the name, phone number and address of a person known to the applicant and not living in the same household as the patron.


    The library card shall remain city property.


    Possession of a library card allows the patron to borrow any available material for a time period named by the library staff.


    It will be presumed that the person named on the library card, which was presented to obtain material from the library, has authorized use of the card and accepts the responsibility to return to the library any material obtained by use of the card. It shall be prima facie evidence that the person or his parent or guardian, if the patron is under 16 years of age, who signed the library card is the person who borrowed the materials. The introduction into evidence of the original or a true and correct copy of the book card assigned to such property, bearing a library card number which was recorded on the book card when the property was checked out, is prima facie evidence that the person to whom the library number is assigned, according to the records of the library, did borrow such property.


    The patron shall notify the library staff upon loss or theft of the card or of change of address immediately.

(Code 1968, § 17-2)